Cross the border by bike
“Cross te border by bike” project is implemented with the financial support of Norway and the Government of the Slovak Republic under the financial technical assistance Norwegian grants, under priority cross-border cooperation Slovakia.
Seven organizations from Ukraine and Slovakia are involved in the project.
Kosice self-governing region - project promoter
Partner 1: FORZA, Agency for Sustainable Development of the Carpathian Region
Partner 2: Association of municipalities Horna Torysa
Partner 3: City of Velky Saris
Partner 4: North-East of Slovakia
Partner 5 : Regional Association of Municipalities Hornad
Partner 6: Kyiv Cyclists’ Association
Project duration: May 2016 – April 2017
Total budget: Euro 171 579
The objective of the project is to improve of cross-border cooperation in the planning and implementation of cycling routes in all three regions (Presov region, Kosice region and Transcarpathia). Well designed and well implemented cycling network will not only contribute to a better use of cross-border and international tourism potential, but also enable local people to use the bicycle as a means of transport belonging to everyday life.
The main aim of the project "Cross the border by bike" is to build capacity and better coordination in the planning of cycling through collaboration with stakeholders, not only within the region but also in neighboring regions and bordering countries.
In particular, attention will be paid to the the Slovak bike path YevroVelo 11, while at the Ukrainian side of the main task is to develop the concept of a network of long distances bicycle paths in Transcarpathia.
- Project management and publicity, overall project management, coordination of partners
- Preparation of concept documents, development of the concept of long distance biking trails in Kosice region, including schematic map of the bicycle magistrals of the region and rits surroundings
- Mapping and proposal of long distance bicycle magistrals in Zakarpatska oblast of Ukraine with connection to Slovakia and other regions of Ukraine - concept document
- Development of technical documentation for the selected parts of the bibking trails and for selected parts of magistrals (Eurovelo 11 and Zemplin biking magistral) in Kosice and Presov regions
- Capacity building of local actors and transfer of knowledge (organization of professional worksops)
- Raising awareness about possibilities of bicycle transportation and bicycle tourism within the target regions